My perfect go-to food for a rainy evening is something with curry/sauce and/or something with cheese. So this evening, I decided to combine both to make some chicken parmesan and serve it with sphagetti. It was pretty straightforward to cook, and it tasted delicious. Here’s the recipe:
- Cooking spray
- 4 thin chicken cutlets/3 thick chicken cutlets
- Salt, oregano and red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons dry Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 to 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese (feel free to use more of it, or to use normal, instead of part-skim mozzarella cheese)
- A jar of pasta sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small or medium red onion, chopped
- A teaspoon of dried basil
1. Put some olive oil in the skillet and saute the onions and the garlic. When the onions have been caramelized, add the jar of pasta sauce. Mix in the dried basil and oregano and let it simmer for a few minutes. Do not leave the sauce on the heat for too long, otherwise it will get thickened, and we don’t want that until the sauce is actually on the chicken, in the oven.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle the cutlets with the salt.
3. Lightly beat the egg whites in a medium bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan in a bowl. Spread the flour in another bowl.
4.Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, dip both sides into the flour, shaking off excess. Dip each piece into the egg whites, shaking off excess, and then press both sides into the breading to coat.
5. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes.
6. Transfer the chicken, in 1 layer, to the baking dish.
7. Spoon the sauce over the chicken then sprinkle with the cheese. Bake, covered loosely with a tent of foil, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly, about 15-20 minutes. (depending on how thick or thin your chicken is, you might want to take it out or leave it in for 5 minutes more or less.
8. Cook sphagetti, as per directions. Serve the Chicken Parmesan over spaghetti and enjoy!