My new (and rather expensive) love affair with avocados has driven me to try using it with all kinds of food. It might actually be just behind onions and garlic in my most frequently used ingredients while cooking. During this process, I’ve realized that avocados and eggs actually make for a great combo and are not a mushy mess that I had initially imagined (and even if they can be, who cares because it’s a delicious combo). So here are some recipes in which you incorporate both:
Scrambled Eggs with Avocado
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- salt and pepper, to taste
Now everyone has their own pet way to make scrambled egg, but I’m a big fan of this recommended by The Kitchn. Once you’ve made the scrambled eggs, just top it off with the green onions and avocado, and you’re ready for a healthy breakfast containing two super-foods!
Breakfast Burritos – courtesy Niloufer Siddiqui
- Black beans, one can
- Refried beans, one can
- Vegetables, to stir-fry (mushrooms, red peppers and broccoli are an excellent choice!)
- Sour Cream
- Tomatoes, diced
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the veggies (we used mushrooms, red peppers and broccoli). Add black beans and red pepper flakes and cook until warmed through, another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a dish.
2. Spray the skillet with cooking spray, and reheat the skillet over a medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add eggs, scrambling until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon sour cream, refried beans and salsa, then layer with the vegetable mixture, scrambled eggs, diced tomato and 1/4 of an avocado. Top each tortilla with cheese and salsa. Roll tortillas into burritos and serve.
Eggs Benedict with Avocado
Having had an English muffin topped with a fried egg, avocado and tomato, I can assure you that this a delicious brunch item with hash browns or home fries. Check out this link for a recipe that also incorporates bacon in the eggs benedict alongwith avocados.
So have some fun experimenting with these recipes! For those who really want to experiment, try this Avocado Ice Cream! I’m still unsure about eating green ice cream, so I might take a while to come around to it. What about you? Have you ever had any desserts with avocado as an ingredient?