I believe that everyone should have two basic recipes on hand – one is for pancakes and the other is one for a basic chocolate cake. No frosting, no frills, no fanciness. Just basic, moist, dark chocolate cake that can be our go-to when we have to prepare something quickly, or when we need some comfort food. This one is super-quick to make, uses ingredients lying around the house and can be made in one bowl – so no pile of dirty dishes afterwards! Plus, once we’ve got this basic recipe down, we can basically make any changes to it as we want – any kind of frosting/topping/layering is just going to make it better! Or could we just serve it with some ice cream and we’re ready for movie night!
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (though white is also fine)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup +2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 8 x 8 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Mix until smooth; the batter will be thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.