What do you make when you have to whip up something fast? This weekend I realized 2 hours before going out that I should probably make something in order to take to this party I was going to later in the evening. My first thought went to cake mix, and it turned out I had a lemon and chocolate cake mix lying around. So I thought – why not turn my lemon cake mix into lemon-poppy seed muffins? It turned out to be an incredibly easy procedure, and I just added a few things on the fly. Quick, moist, and you can even deck these up further – drizzle the muffins with a lemon glaze or top with lemon cream cheese frosting!
Ingredients (Makes around 20 cupcakes)
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin cups with paper baking cups.
2. Mix all ingredients in large bowl with a whisk until all the ingredients are mixed. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
3. Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick or a fork inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Drizzle with a lemon glaze while the muffins are still warm, or if using frosting, wait until they get cold.
Allergic to gluten? Try these gluten-free lemon-poppy seed muffins!