If you’re in the mood for a healthy snack, or a low-stress party snack, these oven-roasted chickpeas are a great idea. Chickpeas are one of my favorite ingredients and I regularly use them in curries or with couscous. However, if you take off their outer skin and then roast them with a couple of spices, they shrivel up and turn into an addictive and crunchy snack. Mixing the chickpeas with the oil and spices takes less than 5 minutes, and then they need around 40 minutes to bake. So the next time you’re staring at a can of chickpeas wondering what to do, hummus isn’t the only option you should consider…
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, skins removed
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1.5 teaspoon grounds cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and dry by rolling them around in a kitchen towel.
- Combine the oil, paprika, cumin, garam masala cayenne and salt in a large bowl. Add chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. Transfer the chickpeas to a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer.
- Bake until golden and crispy, 35 to 40 minutes (or when they acquire a crunchy texture), shaking the tray to toss after 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the chickpeas to a serving bowl.